Hey, It’s Working!
Well, I’ve been at this habit thing for about 5 weeks now, and I’m actually quite thrilled with the results. I’ve had a bit of a weird weekend, which I’ll get in to in a bit, and I missed two habits on the weekend, but otherwise, I’m doing really, really well – and I’ve lost 8 lbs since Christmas, which makes me very, very, happy.
So, here’s my habit update:
- Hydration (8-8oz glasses of water per day): Current streak 21 days in a row. Now I need to confess something here. On Thursday my son asked me to do an Esther Fast with him (Esther 4:16) which meant no food or water for 3 days. We managed 1.5 before we decided we weren’t properly prepared, so on that day, I didn’t drink, but it was a deliberate choice for spiritual reasons rather than just forgetting or being too lazy to drink. I’m going to count this as a success rather than a failure.
- Morning walk (though sometimes it was done during the day, and outside…) Current streak: 20 days in a row.
- Devotional Reading: Current streak 14 days in a row
- Declarative Prayers: Current streak 14 days in a row
- Make my bed: Current streak 2 days in a row (this one I missed on Saturday, so the count restarts from zero)
- Listening Journaling: Current streak 1 day in a row (also missed this one on Sunday)
I’m really pleased with these results, and I’m quite determined to get each of those habits (and the rest I’ll be adding) up to the 40 day streak mark. By then it should be fairly well ingrained!
This week is a little weird. The Esther Fast we did on the weekend is part of a much larger, year-long prayer challenge that requires about an hour to an hour and a half of prayer every day at midnight. Some weeks we’ll pray for an hour 4x/day: 6 am, 12 noon, 6pm, and midnight. It’s a pretty rigorous schedule, but if my son wants me to support him in this, I’m there. The weekend was a mess for both of us, but after some research I’ve found a polyphasic sleep schedule that I think will work. We are adapting it and simply going back to sleep after we pray, but I look at that huge chunk of time in the middle of the night and think of all the things I could be doing with that time where no one will be bothering me. Who knows, maybe I’ll jump in and actually master the whole schedule. But not this week! This week we’re working on the following schedule:
- 8:30: 20 min nap
- 12 noon: 20 min nap
- 4:00pm: 90 minute nap (this is near dusk and we need to use natural light as much as possible so it encourages Slow Wave Sleep)
- 9:00-Midnight: REM sleep
- 1:30am-4:30am: Second set of REM sleep.
According to the schedule I’m following we should stop sleeping after midnight. Works for me! That would give me 8 hours in the middle of the night to work like crazy on stuff that needs to be done without interruption.
Also, the Esther Fast comes once a month or so in this program, so we need to make sure we’re well hydrated before we start, so that’s the other thing I’m looking at.
With that said, my two new habits are:
- Stick to the sleep schedule
- Add two high-mineral cold tea drinks (a mixture of different green/fruit teas and pure coconut water) to increase hydration without risking hyponatremia
And there you have it. I’m feeling great (a little tired right now…but that will pass) and I’m so encouraged by my achievements thus far, that I can’t wait to see what I’ve accomplished by the end of the year. I could well have mastered over 100 new habits! Wow.
Are you keeping up with your resolutions? I’d love to hear how you’re doing in the comments below.
|Be A Star!
Post your comments below and join in the conversation (or get it started!) and then share this post with your friends using the different share buttons on the blog.
I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks!
to find out!